Nursing careers at Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, are anything but ordinary. Here, you’ll find energy and excitement, a shared mission to improve the lives of others as well as our own, in an environment that deeply values inclusion and diversity. We celebrate what makes each person unique as we work together to achieve our ambitious goals: to change the landscape of health care forever and leave the world a better place than we found it.
Here, nursing is about offering high-quality care to each patient while maintaining health equity at the forefront by providing individualized care, promoting diversity in our workforce, working with underserved communities to address disparities, and leveraging data to push forward innovative solutions. “I strive to make a difference with patients by being an empathetic listener and understanding them and their needs,” shared LaConda D., Preservice Review Nurse. She also voiced her perspective on the importance of diversity in nursing saying, “The world is a melting pot and these tools are needed to contribute to the overall health goals and health disparities that are seen in health care.” Join us and learn why compassion is integral to doing your life’s best work.
Join our team.
Bring your skills, talents and passion to a team that is united by an environment that cultivates diversity and performance. Explore open nursing positions and discover how Optum is truly changing health care.
How we’re advancing health equity.
As a leading health care organization, we have an important role in advancing health equity, addressing the systemic issues that cause health disparities, and closing gaps in care for our most vulnerable populations.
To advance these efforts, we are working across UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare, and Optum to:
- Deliver personalized care based on individual needs. We work to meet the unique needs of members and patients by providing care and services tailored to each individual. We use our Individual Health Record system to help drive transparency and health literacy for our patients and staff.
- Promote equity and diversity in the health care workforce. We value our people, ideas, and experiences while creating a culture that embraces inclusion, diversity, innovation, and growth as we build a healthy workforce as diverse as the people we serve. Our Diverse Scholars Initiative program has given us the opportunity to help increase diversity in health care by investing over $23 million in the education of scholars who demonstrate financial need and are committed to helping provide care in underserved communities.
- Improve the health of underserved communities. We partner with communities nationwide to expand access to care and address the social determinants of health for underserved and uninsured individuals and families. Through our business as well as through our United for Giving program and the United Health Foundation, we are providing grants to local and national organizations, investing in affordable housing, making in-kind donations, participating in disaster relief, and volunteering our time and resources to provide affordable care.
- Leverage data and emerging analytics to address disparities in care. We conduct research and analysis that incorporates data from all communities, with a special focus on people who have been underrepresented in or underserved by medical research. Learn more about our health equity efforts.
Our Center for Clinician Advancement
UnitedHealth Group has created a powerful internal platform for the development, advancement, and contributions of our clinician workforce. This platform, the Center for Clinician Advancement, serves as a center of expertise to help our clinicians amplify their voices as they work to influence the delivery of health care and transform the health system.
The Center for Clinician Advancement offers:
- Resources to assist clinicians in gaining new knowledge and skills.
- Clinical discipline pages that give access to the latest news and training.
- A community where our clinical workforce can connect and engage with each other and cultivate a collaborative environment.